Disable Google Fonts is a WordPress plugin (download) that stops loading of fonts from Google Fonts used by WordPress core, Gutenberg plugin, bundled themes (Twenty Twelve, Twenty Thirteen, Twenty Fourteen, Twenty Fifteen, Twenty Sixteen, Twenty Seventeen), and most other themes. If theme or plugin (whose name is not listed here) uses fonts from Google Fonts, those fonts still might be loaded if that theme or plugin loads fonts from Google in a way that is incompatible with this plugin.
There are a couple of reasons why you don’t want to load fonts from Google’s servers:
- privacy and security (Google knows about each page view)
- local development or production (no or limited Internet access)
- availability of Google’s servers (some countries block access to Google)
- language support (these fonts have limited characters support)
- performance (Google’s servers are hit on each page view)
This plugin is a very lightweight, it has no settings, just activate it and it works immediately.
Disable Google Fonts is released under the terms of GNU General Public License. It is completely free so if you find it useful you can give something back to author. Your help could be done by giving donation, sending pull request on GitHub, sending bugs and suggestions, promoting plugin in blogs, forums, social networks, and other websites.